Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
aviation-warbird-b-17-150204.tif
Boeing built B-17 Flying Fortress "Nine-O-Nine" operated by the Collings Foundation sits on the ramp at Livermore Airport in Livermore, California, during its annual tour in May 2009. The Collings Foundation B-17 was named "Nine-O-Nine" in honor of a 91st Bomb Group, 323rd Squadron plane of the same name which completed 140 missions without an abort or loss of a crewman. The original "Nine-O-Nine" was assigned to combat on February 25, 1944. By April 1945, she had made eighteen trips to Berlin, dropped 562,000 pounds of bombs, and flown 1,129 hours. She had twenty-one engine changes, four wing panel changes, fifteen main gas tank changes, and 18 Tokyo tank changes (long-range fuel tanks). She also suffered from considerable flak damage.