Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
aviation-flying-boxcar-121619.tif
A C-119 Flying Boxcar, in the livery of the Amaroco Oil Company, that was featured in the opening sequences of the movie "Flight of the Phoenix" site on the ramp in Greybull, Wyoming, in August of 2006. The Fairchild built aircraft was sold on August 23rd, 2006 for a reported $70,000 when the assets of Hawkins and Powers were auctioned off. The C-119 made its initial flight in November of 1947 and by the time production ceased in 1955 more than 1,100 of the type had been built. Nicknamed the "flying boxcar" for its cargo hauling ability the C-119 was designed to carry cargo, personnel, litter patients, and mechanized equipment. Photographed 08/06