A Canada Goose stands atop one of remaining storage silos at the Calaveras Concrete plant.
Built on speculation of a California building boom mining engineer William Wallace Mein raised 2 million dollars from investors and incorporated Calaveras Cement in San Andreas. In 1926 the plant was built on the outskirts of San Andreas and was operational until the 1980's.
In the 1920's the plant supplied 750,000 barrels of cement for the Pardee Dam and in 1936 contributed 400,000 barrels of special formula cement for the Bay Bridge. In the 1980's the plant was closed and sat idle until 2005 when it was demolished.