Backed by the San Jacinto Mountain Range the P-51 Mustang "Dakota Kid II" sits on the ramp at Palm Springs Airport. Introduced in 1942 the P-51 Mustang was a North American built long-range single seat fighter aircraft utilized by the Allies in World War II. The P-51D variant was powered by the Packard built V-1650-3 12 cylinder Merlin engine and armed with six .50 caliber Browning machine guns. Flown in the markings of Noble Peterson's "Dakota Kid" of the 355th FG, 358th FS based in Steeple Morden, the P-51D Mustang now owned by Dr. Henry Reichert represents the epitomy of piston powered fighters of the Second World War. Noble Peterson was credited with 3 aerial victories while fighting in Europe.