The Pony Express Station commonly referred to as Blackrock was could have also been known as Butte, Desert Station, or Rock House. It was named for the black basalt outcropping just to the north of the road and the CCC monument. It was also known as Rock House. Little is known about Blackrock station, or its usage. The obelisk was built by the CCC around 1939 and 1940.