Union Pacific Locomotive 844 journeys east through the Feather River Canyon near Pulga. Delivered in 1944, Steam Locomotive No. 844 is that last steam locomotive built for the Union Pacific Railroad. Originally designated as a high-speed passenger engine it pulled trains such as the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited, Portlan Rose, and Challenger until diesels took over all of the passenger duties in the Mid-1950's. Between 1957 and 1959 it performed freight pulling duties in Nebraska. No. 844 was saved from the scrapyard in 1960 and held for special service, a function it has been performing ever since.